based on submitted proposals and requests, supporting the GA facilitators,
and taking and publishing minutes. Secretariat offers facilitator training
sessions to empower individuals to moderate the GA and run facilitate
Postby Secretariat »
1. The Secretariat is asking the General Assembly to allow the same autonomy for this committee as every other committee in Occupy Chicago. The current practice of calling "Format" at any deviation does not allow us to make adjustments to the daily agenda of the GA to act in the best interest of the movement as a whole. Such autonomy could involve rearranging the standard structure based on another event that is happening, like N17 by opening with Soapbox. In the spirit of transparency, any significant changes will still be brought to the GA in the form of a temp check before moving forward. This flexibility will also allow us to experiment with alternative GA structures without having to call for a formal vote to permanently change procedure. Currently other occupations around the nation allow their meeting facilitators to make adjustments to GA to suit the needs of the movement for that day.
2. We propose limiting the official General Assemblies to Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. By changing the 7pm GA to only 4 days a week it opens more time for discussion, committee meetings, planning sessions, and other community events during the non-GA days. These days were chosen in the hope that the variety will have at least a few days that work with everyone's schedule. It also takes into account other existing weekly nighttime meetings like Occupy Rogers Park GA on Sundays, Occupy Pilsen GA and Labor Outreach meeting on Tuesday, ect. Over the last 2 months Friday and Saturday have been the days with the broadest participation. Friday and Saturday also provides two days in a row for extended discussion when needed. By limiting GA to 4 days per week, Secretariat will commit to well crafted agendas, overseeing the assembly to ensure everyone is heard and represented, and taking and posting minutes.
3. Finally we propose changing the submission deadline for proposals to be added to the agenda to Sunday at 3pm each week. This will allow for Secretariat to use their weekly 4pm Sunday meeting to set the agenda for the week, and post online by Sunday night to ensure transparency and accessibility to a wide audience. Occupiers will also be able to plan in advance to attend a specific GA based on the issues being discussed. If a proposal comes in after the deadline and the presenter feels it is an emergency that needs to be addressed before the following week, Secretariat will review the situation and if it is time sensitive, work it into the existing agenda. Procedure to get added to the agenda includes: adding the formal proposal to the forum then emailing Secretariat@occupychi.org directly with a link to the post along with the proposer's availability that week for presentation and voting. Alternatively, any formal proposal that is written down for those with no access to internet, can be handed to a member of the Secretariat directly during any General Assembly to be included in the agenda the following week. While Secretariat can read any proposal for the presenter if they are not available, it is in the presenter's interest to have a representative present as we cannot clarify any confusion, defend questioned elements, or approve friendly amendments.
- Posts: 150
- Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:33 am
- Location: Aurora, IL currently Rogers Park Chicago
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest