Date/Time: 11/12/11, 7 pm
Location: Congress & Michigan
Announced: Monday, Nov. 14, 7pm GA will take place at 1414 E 59th Street immediately following the protest against Condi Rice and Henry Paulson. The protest runs from 6 PM to 9 PM and GA will follow that.
Alley Cats: usually does flyer distribution on Fridays and Saturdays. Flyers are available tonight for anyone who wants to do that this week.
Video and Photo committee will meet tonight follow in GA.
Secretariat: There are a lot of notices coming from the OC website, including lots of questions and complaints to the Secretariat about GA procedure. Under the Secretariat section of the OC website, all announcements and notices can be posted online so that all announcements can be brought into GA.
Student, Outreach: tomorrow, Coalition Against Corporate Higher Education will be meeting at DePaul to discuss actions this week on Monday and Thursday as well as plans for winter break.
Outreach: will propose tomorrow an statement about solidarity with Oakland and the need to defend occupation of open space. 99 read the statement, initiated by Occupy Oakland. The statement decries the empty spaces left open because they aren’t being rented for profit and the closure and threats against public spaces and programs. They condemn the actions of city governments and law enforcement in dispersing groups occupying public space especially in this context. There will be a presentation of the statement and vote at the upcoming GAs
Community Organization, Outreach: A national day of action coming up. We should start getting organized and canvas throughout neighborhoods. We want to raise neighborhood support for reclaiming abandoned buildings and gathering necessary donations of supplies. Talk to Kelvin if you’re interested in helping with this. [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Housing: met last night to talk about potential space for the winter. Next meeting will be Sunday night. Please come out. Will meet up at Grant Park after GA and then relocate.
Tech: each committee has had a separate page on the OC website for sometime. Tech is trying to get more content for the homepage. Committees should post to their own page as they are able and inclined. Tech is not responsible for generating content for the website, they depend on committees and point of contact people from committees to help in this.
Education: upcoming teach-ins will include one on movement democracy and one of the situationists both on Sunday afternoon.
Arts and Rec: has designed square, red, white and blue, signs for the Occupy movement. They’ve raised money to print 2,200 placards! They should be ready for an event on Saturday, November 19 of artists in support of Occupy. They’ll be raising funds for us, especially for legal defense.
PROPOSALS VOTED ON:
Calls for Assistance [link to forum] - VOTE PASSED (63 in favor, 5 against)
We need means of communicating that don’t require so much centralization and voting, since we’re non-hierarchical: In order to cancel hegemony, we need more effective means to circulating information and generate collaboration. Our bureaucratic structure shouldn’t hold us back. Each GA should include a Calls for assistance section where people can present proposals for action and their contact info and then a break so that people can meet up and collaborate. This will help new people plug into activity through the GA and give us more space to work together in person without having to wait for the GA for a final approval.
I didn’t understand all of the proposal so I’m not sure what we’re voting on. Did others fell this way? Can the proposal be reworded to be more clear to everyone?
Direct Response: Lots of people come up with great ideas but are blocked by not finding the right committee or knowing how to raise the proposal in a GA. So this is designed to allow people to move into action more quickly. This vote is to set aside time for this.
How would this be different from the General Announcements section of the agenda?
Direct Response: General announcements includes a lot more news and outside events. This would be to make a more focused time, move it up in the agenda, and then take a ten minute break to allow people to immediately meet up and start discussing
- I think this is a great idea because often when people come out to a GA, there’s a lot of discussion that’s either redundant or inward, and this would engage people in action who are not yet involved or not sure about committing to a committee, so this would be a great way to grow and get more people involved.
- I like this proposal, but am concerned about having this break follow committee announcements because it might disrupt the GA.
- We already have a 15 minute intermission, and with the weather getting worse, an extra break and adding more announcements to the beginning of the meetin will cause more people to drift out of the GA before we get things done as a whole group.
I propose we amend the proposal to the short, simple version.
Proposer: NOT accepted as friendly because in order to vote tonight, the language needs to have been posted online.
- I don’t have a problem with people announcing stuff they want to do, but shouldn’t people go through Direct Action to make sure more of the Occupy movement get involved?
- About the time problem: getting rid of human mic saves us a ton of time already. We’ve been ending early a lot lately. Adding more time for people to meet in small groups will help keep people engaged rather than just taking in the meeting’s discussions from the front of the GA. This gives us more of a chance to work together in person, without the internet.
- This wouldn’t preclude the use of committees to pursue ideas and actions. And it might cut down on official proposals that could actually be pursued without getting the entire GA to vote.
- I didn’t understand all of the proposal so I’m not sure what we’re voting on. Did others fell this way? Can the proposal be reworded to be more clear to everyone?
Occupy Wall Street Donations Proposal - VOTE PASSED (68 in favor, 0 against)
OWS wants to help us by sending us supplies! But they need us to put it to a vote.
They have a surplus of donated items. They’re offering an open trading relationship. We’ve gone so far without these supplies. Think how much more we can do with all the supplies from OWS. It is not yet clear if the donations would be in the form of money or items, but either way would be great. We have lots of money donations already.
Update: this will operate on the basis of a wish-list we provide that OWS will try to fulfill to the best of their ability.
- Housing has been in touch with OWS and received offers of financial donations which Housing has expressed interest in. This could help us get an indoor space for the winter.
How are donated item going to be delivered here?
Direct Response: There’s discussion of getting a PO box which is cheap.
- I know OWS has already sent some money to Occupy Oakland. That was a directed donation for specific purposes. The financial agreements we’re moving toward within the donations committee are underway to figure out how to handle such directed donations should they come up in the future.
- We’re able to accept directed donations through 8th Day already. The money wouldn’t be able to go to our “We Pay” account, but we can accept them otherwise.
Donations Committee Proposal [see proposal here] - VOTE PASSED (68 in favor, 0 against)
We’ve discussed using several different legal entities to accept donations:
Online donations would be processed through the Crossroads foundation. They would accept the money to a certain amount, then cut a grant check to the 8th day center, then 8th day would pay us. The NLG has offered free service with any legal issues related to receiving donations. These decisions reflect weeks of work and discussion.
We propose we become sponsored by 8th day foundation, a well-known and respected group. Cross roads foundation would allow donors to make use of tax credits for their donations. These organizations are ready to work with us and awaiting our vote. All paperwork will be posted online, and then after a sufficient time period for everyone to see them, we’ll take a second vote to establish this set-up as our official plan.
Just to clarify: fiscal sponsorship means an organization shares their 501c3 status with us, allowing donors to us to make tax free donations. But are we paying them for this service?
Response: there are some unavoidable fees. Our we pay account already deducts 3.8% of our donations, so far about $700. Under this proposal, our we pay account will be closed, with that money being transferred to Crossroads. They may charge us a fee, but we don’t know yet. They have their own decision-making process but are very sympathetic to us. We think it’s unlikely they’ll charge us. 8th day has offered us services without fees. That will be clarified by the time of our second vote, down the line.
My only concern is whether receipts will have to be provided in order to file for reimbursements for each and every expense.
Direct Response: the donations committee doesn’t anticipate a problem with this. But the committee will need to be reconsidered after this happens. We may need to start a new group, like a treasury committee, to handle questions like these. We have a lot of experienced people in and around our movement who can help us in the future.
- Just to clarify: fiscal sponsorship means an organization shares their 501c3 status with us, allowing donors to us to make tax free donations. But are we paying them for this service?
- Donations committee thanks GA for the unanimous vote after much hard work!
(intermission for discussion before voting, results posted next to proposal name)
PROPOSALS FOR FUTURE VOTING
Labor Outreac: a march on November 17 to follow direct action’s die in.
The march will end at Grant park after visiting 3 tax-dodging corporations’ offices, with one speaker for three minutes in each locations, then three speakers at Grant Park before proceeding to GA. This will help avoid a lull and keep people (including many workers from across the city) engaged and excited between the direct action and the GA
Arts & Rec: Roccupy on December 11 or 18
A night of music at the Metro where all proceeds would go to Occupy Chicago, minus the cost of paying for artists’ time. Should include headliners and local performers, with one headliner proposed so far (Chicago blues allstars). Would also have to put up a $2,500 (negotiable) payment up front.
The person who is organizing this is a producer with a small studio who’s organized a similar event in support of the occupy movement in Aurora.
- James organized a benefit show for Haiti that raised $14,000! They found an org to match funds and had an easy time getting the word out through supportive music bloggers, polished flyers, etc.
- There needs to be some hardcore punk rock on this stage!
Mark: price seems a bit high, without having looked at all the details of the proposals. How much can production costs be beside the stage space? Shouldn’t artists be willing to play for free, since we’re all here as volunteers donating our time and energy.
Direct Response: this is actually quite low cost. The Metro is giving us the space for near free but need to cover costs of outfitting the space. Performers are still TBD
- Will the people who’ve donated to occupy Chicago really want us to spend our money on this? There are already lots of ways that performers and celebrities can contribute to the movement. The only purpose of this event should be to raise funds.
Artists should be willing to participate simply for the free publicity! We should shop around for a free venue
Direct Response: sure, we should shop around for free spaces and performers. People should bring their ideas to the arts and rec committee. This can also provide great publicity for us and help us raise our profile and build for our direct actions.
- The 11th would be better than the 18th since we want people to be in town. We should also look for orgs to sponsor artists to perform for us.
People should talk to Trina to help us get the costs down if you have experience in working on this kind of project.
Motion: Stack time extended for 5 minutes.
- We should have a fundraiser specifically for this event so that we don’t deplete our existing funds ahead of this event.
- We’d only need 100 people there to break even.
- Artists live on what they make by performing, so it’s not fair to ask people to necessarily work for free. A lot of volunteers have offered help with graphic design and flyer costs, so a lot of our costs will be covered.
- A big name band doesn’t ensure we’ll sell out or make money. We should aim to break even. And yes, musicians are workers, but they often perform for less than they need to cover their costs, just for publicity.
- I work with an organization that supports musicians in Chicago. It’s important that we push for this to be all ages, though that may raise costs since the venue depends on liquor sales. But youth are part of the 99% and everyone should be welcome to this show.
- This should be a great show, because the Metro has great acts all the time. It shouldn’t be hard to get people to turn out, because a lot of people support our cause, and we’ve already had a lot of well-known performers support us.
- My father is a jazz performer Ramsey Lewis. We should get this sponsored, not spend our own money to do that. I can volunteer to make this happen.
- I think this is a great way to both make money and promote the movement. I would propose that at every step, we make sure to focus on the political purpose of the event, and have an MC that in between acts speaks to our political message.
Motion: At 9 pm, passed motion to extend by 10 minutes for general announcements
I don’t see any committee announcement boards hear tonight.
Direct Response: They’ve been made and they’re at Grace Place. But we need people in committees to pick them up and bring them.
- Yesterday we saw a rat on the steps. Please pick up trash when you leave.
- People have been leaving placards behind. If you can’t go back to HQ after GA, please don’t bring one of our signs or ask someone else to carry it back for you.
- On the NATO/G8 protest: the city has granted the committee a meeting to discuss a permit. Wed Nov 16, at 2 pm at City hall, ninth floor room 985, meeting with the director of permits and superintendent of police. Occupy Chicago is invited to join the anti-nato/g8 committee plus labor, community, and religious orgs. There will also be a press conference OC can participate in this too. Next meeting of anti-nato/g8 committee will be tomorrow (Sunday) at 3 pm at Kent Law college.
- A thanksgiving event is being organized that will celebrate people who’ve made change. It’s a fundraiser. But they’re offering 5 free tickets to OC activists. The cost is $30, to raise funds for people raided by FBI and for Fightback newspaper. Saturday, Nov 23 at 4 pm at Trinity Church, 125 E 26th street.
- There are OC members at Occupy Wall Street to present our Chicago spring proposal and ask for their support.
- There are tee shirts being made for us, with all proceeds going to us!
A few of us met in Hyde Park with Occupy University of Chicago. They’re organizing an event on Monday, Nov 14 to protest the presence of Condoleezza Rice and Henry Paulson. There will be a protest inside the event (the event is student only), but there will also be a large rally outside. We should get there no later than 6 PM, and can cover CTA fares from Occupy HQ, leaving at 5:15. Please let Mark know about your needs if you want your bus/train fare covered.
There will be speakers and street theater at 6 pm, and then the GA at 7 PM. See Facebook here or the OC website here for more info.
The protest will be at the international house on 59th St.
- This afternoon at the Egyptian embassy, we marched and rallied with a section of the city we’re not always able to be in contact with. The event was awesome, and we had a great street presence. People should participate in more of these sorts of actions as they arise!
- We should organize a working class political party, if anyone wants to help with this. The party would be called the Independent working class party, in the tradition of the slavery abolition movement and the militant labor struggle. The goal would be to achieve the same level of transformation of society now as the abolitionists achieved in just 11 years beginning in the 1850s.
- We would run candidates for all non-executive offices, run on donations and volunteer work. See Mark D. for flyers and info.
- Please pick up your trash and take signs with you as you leave
- Oscar, a journalist from South America. I’ve seen many international uprisings in Ecuador, argentina, and Bolivia. I’ve been following this movement all over the country from the beginning. I’ve spoken with author of Confessions of an economic hitman. In my own country, Ecuador, the struggle is farther ahead. The General Assemblies are putting forward elected leaders and winning legislation. But I was telling John Perkins that all that can be taken away easily by imperialist bombs. How do we change that? He said, we need the young people of American to take up the opposition here in the United States. At first I said, if that’s what we need to save the world, oh no! Because so many people seemed to be in slumber. But now this movement is all over the world, and you guys are in a position to change the whole world. MLK said we could take control of the market if we organize boycotts. As soon as I got to Zucotti park, I realized it wasn’t crazy. That you guys really can change the world. But if you don’t succeed, there’s no light at the end of the tunnel. So I bring you the love of my country because you are doing the right thing.
- Linette: I’ll be heading a welcoming party tonight for all new members and all longer-standing core members of the occupy Chicago movement to exchange questions and information about how we’re organizing. This will help us create a warm, open space to get to know each other. I’ll organize this event every two weeks.
- I brought a sign that says Every Human Deserves Good/Real Healthcare. All of us have a story for what brought us here.
Last year, my husband died of a very aggressive case of cancer. Without insurance, he was passed from doctor to doctor. We had to fight to get any hospital to treat him. The hospital treated him as sub human, and though they gave him only 6 months to live, they kicked him out after only a week. When we finally found a group of doctors that treated him well, it was too late. He had over 2000 tumors in his body and he died in 6 weeks.
The elite think we’re all subhuman and don’t deserve treatment. But the least we deserve is good health care, food on our tables, clothes on our back, and the ability to live comfortably. I was with him the night he died, and it was the most awful thing I’ve ever witnessed. But we have to tell the elitists that we have every bit as much right as them to a comfortable life.
I was protesting in Egypt on January 28! I know people in the middle east that are very interested in our movement. People in Syria want to work with us on a joint newsletter, with different sections for different countries, to be distributed throughout the middle east and the US.
This should fit in well with the Occupied Chicago Tribune, and I’d like to talk with those organizers.
I’d also like to work with people that want to connect more with people around the world and in the Middle East. Twitter is a great way to get to know and talk to people.
- In the very early days of the movement, there was human mic. It was really cool. Can we do that now?
I believe that in order to continue to do our duty and represent the people of Chicago that it is our responsibility to organize and to institute, given the recent increase in precipitation, an umbrella drive.
Many here among us have or can afford a well-made umbrella. In light of this, we must call upon the city of Chicago to support us and help us with shelter in the form of umbrellas that are well-made. If you would like to contribute, please email email@example.com.
Umbrellas for all!
- We’ve had a very business like GA. It’s great. We’ve gotten a lot done. But it’s important to remember this is the most important thing that’s happened since the civil rights movement. The more we fight, the more we find love for each other!